The Great Woolly Bake Off - Gemma's Bolo de Fuba
Bolo de Fubá is a cornmeal flour cake that is a breakfast staple in Brazil, and Gemma’s take is covered with chocolate to give it that extra touch of deliciousness.
For the cake
- 3 free-range eggs
- 3 cups of cornmeal flour
- 3 table spoons of self-raising flour
- 1.5 cups of sugar
- Pinch of salt
- ½ cup of butter (softened)
- 1 table spoon baking powder
- 1 cup of milk
- 1 spoon butter
- 5 table spoons chocolate powder
- 2 table spoons sugar
- ½ cup of milk
- Gemma started off by mixing together the butter and sugar
- She then added in the eggs and whisked breifly
- Once combined, Gemma then added the flour and whisked
- Once this was all combined, she then added the baking powder and milk before whisking together until the mixture was smooth
- She then poured the mixture into a tin and baked for 35-45 minutes until the cake was cooked in the middle.
- Gemma then removed her Bolo de Fubá from the oven and left to cool slightly
- While her cake was cooling, she added the ingredients for her chocolate sauce to a pan and heated through on the hob until thickened.
- Gemma then pricked holes into the top of her still-warm cake with a fork and then gently poured the warm sauce on top. These holes allow the sauce to penetrate the cake for that extra touch of indulgence.
Gemma’s Bolo de Fubá was a first for all of us in the office, but was delicious enjoyed with a hot beverage!