How To Plan A Luxury Staycation
What’s not to love We’re all itching to get away – although if you’ve got to stay close to home, you might be a little less excited. But why? What’s wrong with the Great British beaches, rural settings and quaint towns? Thanks to COVID-19, UK staycations are more popular than ever and more people are discovering that they can enjoy a change of scenery a little closer to home.
Here are our tips on planning a luxury staycation, including some great staycation ideas and what to pack for a staycation to remember – so you can plan the trip of a lifetime, right on your doorstep. Find out how to make a staycation feel like a luxury vacation below.
How to plan a staycation
Staycation ideas: where are you going?From exploring the wilderness in remote locations to lounging by the sea, there is a plethora of luxury destinations to visit right on your doorstep. But when planning a staycation, location is key. If you like to relax and walk by the sea, consider a quaint coastal village. If you fancy rural views, then a national park is your best bet. Here are a few of our favourite locations for a luxury staycation:
1. The Peak District
Located in the centre of England, the Peak District boasts a whole host of stunning landscapes and is a popular destination amongst tourists and UK residents. This is the ideal location for idyllic views, rural villages and outdoor adventures.
2. St Davids, Pembrokeshire
As Britain’s smallest city, St Davids makes for a relaxing, luxury staycation by the sea. Its charming streets are filled with boutiques, cute cafes, and galleries. If it’s a trip by the sea that you’re after, St Davids makes for an ideal base to explore the stunning coastline of the Pembrokeshire Coast National Park.
Bath is a compact, beautiful city that’s overflowing with places to eat, drink and shop. You don’t have to look far to find things to do in Bath as its full of attractions and activities, including the famous Roman Baths. This is the perfect location to relax in and see some sights while you’re there.
4. Sandbanks, Dorset
Sandbanks is a small peninsula that crosses the mouth of Poole Harbour. The beach is adorned with golden sand and sparkling clean water, making it the ideal location for relaxing beach walks (and a little sunbathing, if the sun comes out!).
It’s no secret that Oxford makes for an ideal location when planning a staycation. Filled to the brim with historic attractions and classic buildings, there are plenty of places to visit in this iconic city. Book a stay at the Old Bank Hotel in the city centre or head further afield and book a luxury B&B in the outskirts.
Once you’ve chosen where you want to be, it’s time to decide where you want to stay. Do you prefer the idea of a luxury hotel? A quaint B&B? A rented holiday home? Or perhaps you’re up for a spot of ‘glamping’? Set the scene for your luxury staycation with your accommodation.
What to pack for a staycationThe best thing about packing for a staycation is not having to be restricted by your luggage. Don’t know what to wear? Pack your full wardrobe. Attached to your pillow? Throw it in the back of the car. Need to bring the kitchen sink? Not a problem! But of course, there have to be some limits. Here’s what to take on a staycation to make it feel like a more luxurious holiday.
Staycation packing listA proper staycation packing list will help you be that little more organised:
- A waterproof jacket – because the UK weather is entirely unpredictable
- A sleeping mask – helping you get a relaxing night’s sleep
- Comfy pyjamas and slippers – to make your hotel room or B&B feel like home
- Good quality toiletries – shampoo, conditioner, body wash etc.
- A portable speaker – because there’s nothing better than listening to your favourite music before bed
- Beach wear – if you’re heading to the coast, you’ll need beach supplies. But no matter where you’re headed, always pack a swimsuit – because a last-minute trip to the spa is always on the cards
- A soft blanket to snuggle up with at night – bringing a touch of luxury from home
- Your pillows – who doesn’t like a good night’s sleep? To guarantee a happier, healthier sleep, make sure you pop your pillow in the car when packing for a staycation
Staycation tips and tricks
- If you pick your dates carefully, you will likely get more for your money. So if you can travel off peak, you’ll get a better choice of locations and it’ll be a little quieter.
- Consider ditching your phone – avoid social media and set your out of office. The whole point of planning a staycation is to take time out and relax. Just because you’re still in the country, it doesn’t mean you shouldn’t be treating your trip as a full-blown holiday!
- Book a spa day – the ultimate way to relax and recharge.
- Go on a hike – what’s better for you than some fresh air and exercise? An outdoor adventure is the perfect way to zone out from the world.
- Make the most of your sleep – fancy a lie in? No-one’s stopping you. Want to head to bed early? That’s your prerogative. This is your luxury staycation and you deserve to sink into your bed if you want to.
And there you have it – our staycation ideas for an indulgent, comfortable trip. Do you want to live a life of luxury? Start with your bedding. It’s a simple swap that will make the world of difference for your sleep, and your lifestyle.